synaptic-pkexec) stopped working. I don't know whether this was caused by something I inadvertently did that borked things or whether it's a bug in Debian sid. I figured out that the root of the problem (no pun intended) is that a policy authentication agent was no longer loading on login -- in spite of
policykit-1-gnomebeing installed and the entry for PolicyKit Authentication agent being checked in Xfce's Session and Startup autostarts.
Reinstalling stuff didn't help.
Further sleuthing revealed that the PolicyKit Authentication agent entry in Xfce's Session and Startup was pointing to a (now) nonexistent file:
/usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1. Further examination revealed that the file
policykit-1-gnomealso was pointing to the same nonexistent file.
So here's what I did to kludge a fix:
- Created a new directory
- Added a link from
I could have added a custom entry into my Xfce autostarts that pointed to the correct file, but that wouldn't have addressed the second issue of
/etc/xdg/autostart/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1.desktoppointing to phantoms.
To undo the changes once/if the problem is better sorted, all I need to do is delete