Pages

April 25, 2016

Fixing Debian sid touchpad with libinput

A recent sid update brought in Xorg's libinput package, which appears to make the old way of configuring touchpads (including synclient) obsolete.

One of the issues I had after the update was that my touchpad's tap-to-click stopped working. I fixed this using the info on this Stack Exchange post, namely I created a file
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-touchpad.conf containing:

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "MyTouchpad"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        Driver "libinput"
        Option "Tapping" "on"
EndSection

Note the different location from the one in the post. I also disabled the old 50-synaptics.conf, 50-vmmouse.conf, and 51-synaptics-aptosid.conf files (the latter two present possibly only in aptosid).

Apparently, Petter Hutterer has a post that goes into detail regarding what you can do with libinput, but I've not yet had time to read it.

Update (later the same day): With the above changes, my touchpad still had behavioral problems. I'll return to this later, but for now I re-enabled 50-synaptics.conf, 50-vmmouse.conf, and 51-synaptics-aptosid.conf and purged xserver-xorg-input-libinput (which removed xserver-xorg-input-all).

No comments: